Monday, July 6, 2015

06.24.2015 - Docking Under Sail

I arrived for another Windseeker race. This time we were missing my fellow foresail trimmer so I was able to do all the work of trimming the foresail and helping out with the spinnaker. In this race we flew a much larger spinnaker. We were never positioned at the front of the race, but our work at the sails was good, we just ended up positioned in doldrums.

After the first turn we made our way back toward the big cargo ships. there was one tanker being rotated by tug and an enormous car carrier that remained hove-to the entire time. We passed aft of the tanker and shortly it was ready to go. It plowed rapidly through the remainder of boats sailing in the race, so that they had to yield to it.

We went aft of the car carrier, so got stuck in its lee. We creeped across the finish line, barely crawling.

Upon the race's end we proceeded to motor back to the marina but the motor died so we were compelled to come in under sail. This was the first time captain S--- had done this. It was great sailing and we came into our slip textbook.

As I was moving fenders I took a step and a line caught my Converse and threw it into the water. All I could do was watch as it slowly sunk, so I had to help clean up barefoot.


Weather: warm, fair, light winds.
Time on the water: about 1.5 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment