Thursday, June 18, 2015

06.17.2015 - First Windseeker Race

I arrived at the Tyee Marina in an attempt to be taken up as a novice crewman. I was picked up captain S---, on Dyno, a 1988 Soverel 33. The crew was fairly new to one another. I was the only greenhorn aboard her. She was a 34 foot keel boat fitted with a very large genoa.

The spinnaker we sailed under had been found in a garbage and was in great shape. It was their first time sailing under it. It was a short sail but perfect for the night's race. I helped man the forward sail sheets and helped in keeping the lines fair about the cockpit. The crew was great and Mr. S--- was patient.

We plotted our start position and our course for a while. As start time approached we found ourselves in a position we weren't intending but had a good start, crossing the mark seconds after the start. We were in second place approaching the first turn but struggled a bit with the hoisting of the spinnaker and fell into fifth place. Once set the spinnaker handled smartly and we pulled up to fourth.

We had good heeling along the final stretch and finished fourth.

I failed to trim the genoa in a timely manner and got a stern talking to about it. I thought we were foul at the bow and let it luff more than I should have.

Upon our arrival back we made the boat ready for docking and I was invited back for future races!

Time on the water, about 1.5 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment